(notes taken from Heathen Media )
Tzvetan Todorov suggested there were 5 stages to a narrative:
- Equilibrium – A happy start
- A disruption of this equilibrium by an event – A problem occurs
- A realisation that a disruption has happened
- An attempt to repair the damage of the disruption – the problem is solved
- A restoration of the eqilibrium – A happy ending
These music video narratives can be can be applied to Todorov’s Theory:
Foo Fighters – Learn to fly
- Equilibrium – Everyone getting onto the plane.
- Disruption – The crew take some drinks which makes them fall over and go to sleep.
- Realisation – Everyone is thrown around the plane as it gets out of control.
- Attempt to repair the damage – The singer goes to the front of the plane and manages to land.
- Restoration of the equilibrium – Everyone gets off of the plane safely.